Me in a nutshell...

I married my high school sweetheart in 2003 and have been enjoying the military life with all of it's challenges both good and bad since. I have a B.S. in Psychology, worked in law enforcement field and now am finding it difficult to find any work. I have decided to follow my heart and work with numbers! Yuck to some, but fun to me. I'm working on an Accounting degree while juggling military life, raising 2 beautiful kids and searching for an opening in the job market where I can hone my skills. Follow me along this fun, stressful and interesting journey....

Thursday, March 21, 2013

QAT1....DONE!!!!

I finally got back my last task (Task 4) in  QAT1 and I am ALL DONE! I passed the other 4 tasks a lot quicker.  2 of them came back with minor errors, which I fixed and resubmitted and passed.  Task 4 was a little more difficult and not because of the material.  It was because I was anxious to pass the class and I resubmitted it without really looking at my mistakes.  I was doing silly things like not rounding the decimal correctly and having the right answer where I worked the problem but in the answer block I used a different number.  So when I took a minute and spoke to one of the course mentors, I was able to catch the problems and FOCUS.  It took me about 2 weeks to get all 5 tasks done and graded (with revisions).  If no revisions would have been needed, I probably would've been able to be done in about a week max (that's including 3 days to have it graded).  I know that a lot of people have trouble with this class and my mentor told me to set aside a month and a half to work on it, but I LOVE math and numbers.  I also aced stats when I was in college for my previous degree and LOVED it.  So for any of you out there that may be intimidated....don't be.  Just work on it and reach out to the mentors, they are GREATTTTT!!!! 

This makes 4 classed completed in less than 2 months.  I feel GREAT and want to keep on this pace.  I plan on having MGC1 done by 3/26 and RWT1 turned in by 3/26 also.  My goal is to have 3 classes done this month!

I know that a lot of people might be thinking that these classes must be easy if I can do it at this pace, but in all honesty these are some of the more challenging classes I have had.  Remember....I do have another bachelors from a traditional brick and mortar school.  So far in comparison, I feel like I am learning much more information and am forced to learn it; unlike a traditional school where you sit in a lecture hall 2 or 3 days a week listening to your professor or TA, taking notes and a final (asking your friends what you might have missed or cramming the day before a test).  I've been there, done that and I didn't really learn, I more or less just memorized.  Don't get me wrong trad schools are a great fit for a lot of people.  But if I can accelerate my pace, why not?

I have also been applying for several different positions, but no luck......ugggg....it is a little frustrating.  I found an internship position with a federal agency but with the sequestration I am unsure if and when they will be hiring.  I have also been using craigslist and indeed but again everything wants at least 2-3 years of experience. I am thinking that if I have no luck as I get closer to graduating, I will start calling around offering myself for free work/internships.  But I am not so sure how that will go.  I have read articles from other military wives that have done this to help keep their skills fresh or to help them in getting into new career fields.  Hopefully it will work as good for me as it did for them. 

I never thought that I would have this problem.  I have always been a hard worker and LOVED working, so not being able to land anything is a little discouraging but I know that if I stay positive something will come my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment